How you can protect your personal information after a data breach

Make sure your myGov, Medicare, Centrelink and Child Support accounts are protected if you’re affected by a data breach.

A third party data breach is when an unauthorised party accesses another organisation’s data. We’re not in control of data breaches to third party organisations. However, we have strong measures in place to keep your information safe with us if you’re data is stolen in a third party data breach.

If this does happen to you, there are things you can do to help protect your personal information with us.

How to protect your myGov account

Your myGov account has security features that protect your information, but there are extra steps you can take.

Make sure your myGov password and PIN can’t be easily guessed and are different to your other online accounts. Don’t share your password or PIN with anyone.

Choose a sign in option that makes it harder for scammers and fraudsters to access your account. Sign in options include:

  • getting security codes sent to you by SMS
  • getting security codes using the myGov Code Generator app
  • signing in using your Digital Identity.

Find out more about protecting your myGov account and sign in options on the myGov website.

How to get a new Medicare card or number

If your Medicare card number has been exposed in a data breach, you can get a replacement Medicare card.

Your replacement card will have a new issue number and expiry date. This means your old card will no longer be valid.

If your Medicare online account is linked to myGov you can sign in now to get a replacement Medicare card.

To do this:

  1. Sign in to myGov.
  2. Select get a replacement and follow the prompts.

Sign in to myGov

You can also use the Express Plus Medicare mobile app.

To do this:

  1. Sign in to Express Plus Medicare
  2. Select Menu and My card
  3. Select Get a replacement or extra card

You can also call us.

You can access and use a digital copy of your new Medicare card straight away. You can do this in the Express Plus Medicare app or your myGov app. Find out how to get a digital card.

If you want a new Medicare card number, you can transfer to a new Medicare card.

We’ll send your new card to you in 3 to 4 weeks.

What to do if your concession card is exposed

If you’re concerned about your Centrelink Reference Number (CRN) being exposed, you can ask us to put additional authentication measures in place. This is to help protect your Centrelink information. To ask for additional authentication measures, call us on your payment line.

If your concession card has been exposed in a data breach, you don’t need to get a replacement card.

You can continue to use your concession card to receive cheaper health services, medicines, and discounts at participating organisations.

What to do if your Child Support number is exposed

If your Child Support Reference number (CSRN) has been exposed, we’ll put additional security measures in place to protect your Child Support information.

Call us on the Child Support enquiry line so we can note that additional security measures are required when you contact us.

How to set up a secret password

You can choose to have a secret password added to your Medicare, Centrelink and Child Support records. This is an extra level of authentication.

You’ll have to tell us your secret password when you speak with a Service Officer over the phone and in person. Never tell your secret password to anyone unless you’re certain it’s a Services Australia staff member.

You’ll need to phone us or visit a service centre to have the password added.

How to lock your online accounts

You can ask us to lock access to your Centrelink, Medicare, and Child Support online accounts, phone self service and our Express Plus mobile apps.

You need to phone us or visit a service centre in person to have these locks applied.

You can cancel your Medicare online account online. This will also cancel your Express Plus mobile app, if you have one. If you want to cancel your Medicare online account, you’ll need to tell us a reason.

How to check for suspicious activity

Monitor your online accounts for unusual activities. Find out how to view your myGov account history.

If you find anything suspicious, including unexpected errors when you try to navigate to your linked services, contact myGov or your linked service.

If you notice suspicious activity on your Services Australia accounts, call our Scams and Identity Theft Help Desk immediately.

Page last updated: 16 October 2023.
QC 64863