on this page
What to tell us
You need to tell us if any of the following things change:
- you change or correct your name
- your personal and contact details
- your bank details
- your study, including any changes to your study load
- your relationship changes, for example if you become partnered or separated
- care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
- you’re leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
- your or your partner’s income or assets change.
You also need to tell us if there are changes to both your:
- accommodation details
- living arrangements if you’re single and start sharing your accommodation with a non family member who’s 16 or older.
You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have a debt you need to pay back.
How to tell us
To tell us about changes to living arrangements you’ll need to complete the relationship details form.
If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us about changes to your circumstances online. To do this, sign in to myGov and select My details.
You can also tell us using either:
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the ABSTUDY line.
Changing or correcting your name
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.