How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Crisis Payment for Other Extreme Circumstances. Before you start, check if you can get it.

Steps to claim a Crisis Payment for Other Extreme Circumstances


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online.

    To do this, you’ll need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you have a nominee they can claim online for you, but they’ll need to have their own account.

    If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    You can also prepare supporting documents before you claim.


    2. Make your claim

    If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can claim online.

    To do this:

    1. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
    2. Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
    3. Select Crisis Payments.
    4. Select Apply for Crisis Payment for Other Extreme Circumstances.
    5. Answer all the questions.
    6. Upload evidence verifying the extreme circumstance such as a police or fire report.
    7. Submit your claim.

    If you have moved house, you will need to update your address within 14 days.

    Sign in to myGov

    If you can't claim online

    If you can’t claim online, you can either:

    • call your regular payment line
    • visit us.

    3. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

    • the ID number of your claim
    • the date we estimate your claim will be complete
    • a link to track its progress.

    To track the progress of your application online, sign in to myGov and select Make a claim or view claim status.

    Sign in to myGov

    You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 26 July 2023.
QC 52749