Claiming as a tertiary student or Australian Apprentice

Complete the following steps to claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance as a tertiary student or Australian apprentice. Before you start, check if you can get it.

When claiming an ABSTUDY payment we calculate and pay the allowance as part of that claim. You don’t need to do a separate claim.

You can claim up to 13 weeks before you start.

Steps to claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance as a tertiary student or Australian Apprentice


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online. We encourage you not to come to a service centre during this time.

    To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    You’ll need a Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link your Centrelink online account to myGov.

    If you ever got a payment from us you’ll still have a CRN, CRNs don’t change.

    If you don’t have a CRN, you’ll need to prove your identity online through myGov to get one and link to Centrelink.

    Once you’ve created your myGov account follow these steps.

    1. Sign in to myGov.
    2. Select View and link services, then select Centrelink.
    3. Select I don’t have or don’t know my CRN.
    4. Follow the prompts to enter your identity details.
    5. You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.

    If you can’t get a CRN online, you can call us on the ABSTUDY line.


    2. Get your documents ready to claim online

    You’ll need to get some documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim. We will need your Tax File number, Bank Account Details, planned and previous course details.


    3. Make your claim

    If you’re a tertiary student or Australian Apprentice you can claim the allowance:

    If you can claim online

    1. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
    2. Select Make a claim or view claim status, then Make a claim.
    3. Under Students, Trainees and Apprentices, select Get started.
    4. Answer all the questions - there’s help on each screen including how to submit your supporting documents and other forms.
    5. Submit your claim.

    When you’re ready:

    Sign in to myGov

    If you can’t claim online

    To submit your claim form, follow these steps:

    1. Check you’ve answered all questions.
    2. Sign and date the claim form.
    3. Attach any supporting documents.
    4. Submit your claim to us.

    You can submit your claim form in 1 of the following ways:


    4. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt. It’ll tell you:

    • your claim submission was successful
    • the ID number of your claim
    • an estimated completion date
    • a link you need to track its progress.

    You can track the progress of your claim online. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink, or use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    Outcome of your Claim

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    You can ask us to review our decision if you think we’ve made a mistake.

Page last updated: 26 September 2022