Claiming as a higher education student or Australian Apprentice

Complete the steps on this page to claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance. Before you start, check if you can get it.

When claiming an ABSTUDY payment we calculate and pay the allowance as part of that claim. You don’t need to do a separate claim.

You can claim up to 13 weeks before you start your course or apprenticeship.

Steps to claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance as a tertiary student or Australian Apprentice


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online.

    To claim online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    You’ll need a Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link your Centrelink online account to myGov.

    If you ever got a payment from us you’ll still have a CRN, CRNs don’t change.

    If you don’t have a CRN, you’ll need to prove your identity online through myGov to get one.

    If you can’t get a CRN online, you can call us on the ABSTUDY line.


    2. Get your documents ready to claim

    You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim. We’ll need your bank account details and your course details.


    3. Make your claim

    You can claim the allowance:

    If you can claim online

    If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now and select Apply for ABSTUDY to start your claim.

    Sign in to myGov

    There’s help on each screen, including how to submit your supporting documents and other forms.

    If you can’t claim online

    To claim using a paper form, follow these steps:

    1. Check you’ve answered all questions.
    2. Sign and date the claim form.
    3. Attach any supporting documents.
    4. Submit your claim to us.

    You can submit your claim form either:

    Services Australia
    Student Services
    Reply Paid 7804
    Canberra BC ACT 2610

    4. Track your claim

    If you submit your claim online or over the phone, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

    • your claim was submitted
    • the ID number of your claim
    • an estimated completion date
    • a link to track its progress.

    You can track the progress of your claim using either:

    Outcome of your claim

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 15 March 2023.
QC 52511