Claiming as a high school student

Complete the steps on this page to claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance for high school. Before you start, check if you can get it.

If you’ve already claimed ABSTUDY, we’ll calculate and pay Incidentals Allowance automatically. You don’t need to do a separate claim for it.

You can claim up to 13 weeks before you start school.

Steps to claim ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance as a secondary student


    1. Get your documents ready

    You’ll need to get some documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim. We will need your Tax File number, Bank Account Details, planned and previous course details.


    2. Make your claim

    If you are a secondary student you can claim the allowance by either:

    To submit your claim form, follow these steps:

    1. Check you’ve answered all questions.
    2. Sign and date the claim form.
    3. Attach any supporting documents.
    4. Submit your claim to us.

    You can submit your claim form in 1 of the following ways:

    Outcome of your Claim

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    You can ask us to review our decision if you think we’ve made a mistake.

Page last updated: 11 January 2023.
QC 52510