Cancelling your payment online

You may be able to cancel your own payment online. This means you don’t need to visit a service centre or call us.

You can cancel your own payment online if you get:

Who can’t cancel their own payment online

Some customers can’t cancel their own payment online, based on their circumstances. This may happen if:

You’ll need to contact us to discuss your payment.

What may happen if you cancel your payment

You may decide to cancel your payment. It’s important to know that it may affect your eligibility for any supplementary payments you may be on. These may include:

  • Rent Assistance
  • Energy Supplement
  • Pharmaceutical Allowance
  • Telephone Allowance
  • Utilities Allowance
  • Approved Program of Work Supplement
  • Language, Literacy and Numeracy Supplement
  • Pensioner Education Supplement
  • Fares Allowance
  • Remote Area Allowance.

It may also change your:

  • rate of Child Care Subsidy
  • rate of Family Tax Benefit
  • partner’s income support payment
  • concession card eligibility
  • sibling’s entitlement.

You may also have to serve a waiting period if you reclaim an income support payment in the future.

If you’re not sure about what happens if you cancel your payment, call us.

If you’ve found work

You may not need to cancel your payment if you’ve found work. You may still qualify for income support if either:

If you’ve started a short term non-ongoing full time job, you need to keep reporting your income fortnightly. This applies even if it results in a nil payment.

Your income support payment will only cancel after 6 fortnights of nil payment unless you get ABSTUDY.

How to cancel your own payment online

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, you can cancel your own payment online.

To do this:

  1. Sign in to myGov.
  2. Select Payments and claims.
  3. Under Manage payments, select Cancel my current payment.
  4. Follow the prompts to submit your claim, then select Yes to confirm your update and cancel your payment.

We’ll give you a receipt when you submit your update. Make a note of the Receipt ID for your records.

Sign in to myGov

What happens next

You don’t need to contact us. We’ll send you a letter when we’ve cancelled your payment.

If you need to get a payment in the future, you’ll have to submit a new claim.

Page last updated: 1 February 2024.
QC 44676