on this page
To become an APP you must:
- be recognised as a Medical specialist or consulting physician under Medicare
- have a Medicare provider number at the location of each Accredited Pathology Laboratory (APL) where you’ll provide pathology services
- meet the requirements in the Approved Pathology Practitioner Undertaking.
When applying, make sure your Medicare provider number address is the same as the related APL’s approved address.
How to apply
- fill in the Approved Pathology Practitioner application/renewal form
- get an authorised witness to witness your signature
- pay the fee and send us proof of payment with your application
- for new approvals, make sure the time between the date you sign the application and send it isn’t more than 3 months
- for renewal applications, make sure the dates you sign the application and send it are no more than 3 months before your current approval expires
- upload your application through Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) or mail or fax it to us.
Read more about using HPOS.
What happens next
If approved, we’ll let you know the approval dates. This is valid for 12 months.
We’ll send you a reminder to renew your APP about 11 weeks before it expires.
You’ll need to renew your APP before it expires, allowing enough time for processing. To do this:
- complete the Approved Pathology Practitioner application/renewal form
- pay the fee of $500.
Read more about Pathology services for health professionals.