- own an Accredited Pathology Laboratory (APL) that is going to claim Medicare benefits
- meet the requirements in the Approved Pathology Authority (APA) Undertaking.
How to apply
- fill in the Approved Pathology Authority Application/Renewal form
- get an authorised witness to witness your signature
- pay the fee and send us proof of payment with your application
- for new approvals, make sure the time between the date you sign the application and send it is less than 3 months
- for renewal applications, make sure the dates you sign the application and send it are no more than 3 months before your current approval expires
- upload your application through Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) or mail or fax it to us.
Read more about using HPOS.
What happens next
If approved, we’ll send you a unique APA number with your approval dates. This is valid for 12 months.
We’ll ask you to renew your APA 11 weeks before it expires.
You’ll need to renew your APA before it expires, allowing enough time for processing. To do this:
- complete the Approved Pathology Authority Application/Renewal form
- pay the fee of $1,500.
When your circumstances change
You must tell us in writing if your circumstances change. This includes if you've bought or merged with another APA, or acquired some of the business.
You'll need to complete and send us an Approved Pathology Authority acquisition or merger advice form.
Read more about Pathology services for health professionals.