You must also get one of these payments:
You must also be one of these:
- dependent and get a higher rate of Youth Allowance when living away from home
- independent and living away from your partner to study
- a parent living away from your dependent children to study
- studying a distance or online course and need to travel to your education provider to meet a course requirement.
You can also get Fares Allowance if both of the following applied to you during the study year:
- you were getting a higher rate of Youth Allowance when living away from home as a dependent student
- you have now turned 22 or become independent by supporting yourself through work.
Secondary students and Australian Apprentices can’t get Fares Allowance.