Who can get it

To get Double Orphan Pension you and the child must meet all of the following conditions.

You must meet all of the following conditions:

  • care for a child at least 35% of the time
  • meet the residence rules
  • not get another Centrelink payment for the child, or an Orphan Pension from the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

You also need to have claimed Family Tax Benefit for the child, or you have claimed but can’t get it. This could be because either:

  • your family's income is too high
  • the child gets an education payment, such as ABSTUDY.

In addition to the above, one of the following must also apply.

The child’s parents or adoptive parents have both died.

One parent has died and the other parent’s either:

  • in prison for at least 10 years
  • in custody and could be sentenced to 10 years in prison
  • in a psychiatric institution or nursing home for an indefinite period
  • whereabouts are unknown.

Read more about death and bereavement.

The child is a refugee who hasn’t lived in Australia with either or both parents, and whose parents either:

  • are outside Australia
  • whereabouts are unknown.

There are no income or assets tests for Double Orphan Pension.

We have extra assistance available if you’re a grandparent caring for your grandchildren. Read more about support for grandparent carers.

We have helpful information to help you with raising kids. We also have payments for carers, and support for non-parent carers.

Page last updated: 14 February 2023.
QC 43151