How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Double Orphan Pension. Before you start, check if you can get it.

Steps to claim Double Orphan Pension


    1. Get ready to claim

    If you haven’t claimed Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for the child, you must submit a claim for FTB first.

    To claim you can either:


    2. Get your documents ready to claim

    You’ll need to get some information ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.

    You may need to give us:

    • the child’s birth certificate
    • confirmation of the child’s refugee status
    • confirmation that the child’s parent or parents have died.

    3. Make your claim

    You can’t claim online but you can submit your completed claim form and supporting documents we ask for online. You can also submit them by post or in person.


    Submit your claim form and documents online using either your:

    To submit your claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    By post

    Post your claim form and documents to:

    Services Australia
    Reply paid 7802
    Canberra BC ACT 2610

    In person

    Bring your claim form and documents to a service centre.


    4. After you claim

    If you submit your claim form and documents online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

    • your documents were submitted
    • a receipt number.

    We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We’ll send a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 11 January 2023.
QC 43156