Residence rules

To be eligible for Double Orphan Pension you must meet the residence rules.

On the day you claim you and the child must be living in Australia.

You must also have one of the following:

The child must also be living with you or have one of the following:

  • Australian citizenship
  • a permanent visa
  • a Special Category visa.

To keep getting your payment you both must continue to meet these residence rules.

There are exceptions to these rules if you are claiming under a Social Security Agreement.

How else you may meet the rules

You may also be able to get Double Orphan Pension if either:

  • you’ve lived or worked in an agreement country
  • you’re a subclass 403 visa holder who is part of the Pacific Australia Labour Mobility scheme family accompaniment initiative.
Page last updated: 17 May 2024.
QC 39841