Support for Australians returning from conflict

If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident who has fled conflict, there is support available when you return to Australia.

We can help you with payments and support if you’re returning to Australia due to conflict in these areas:

  • Israel
  • Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Sudan.

What payments and services you can apply for

You must meet the eligibility rules to get payments and services. This includes rules about residence. To see what payments and services you may be eligible for, read more about getting a Centrelink payment.

You can apply for most payments and services using your Centrelink online account through myGov. Read more about the payments you can claim online. If you don’t have a Centrelink online account, read how to set one up.

There is support for separated parents to help with the costs of raising children.

What health services you can use

We have services to help you with health care and getting vaccines.

If you’re an Australian resident, or hold an eligible visa, you can use Medicare to get lower cost health care. We can also help with the cost of some mental health treatments.

If you’re not an Australian resident, and don’t have an eligible visa, you can still visit a doctor and seek medical care. You won’t be covered by Medicare.

Read more about how to enrol in Medicare and what’s covered by Medicare.

What other help you can get

Social work services

We have social workers who can help if you need to talk to someone for support.

They can help you with any of the following:

  • short term counselling
  • information
  • referrals to support services.

You can talk to a social worker by calling Centrelink and asking to speak with one. If you need an interpreter, let us know and we’ll arrange one for you. You can also visit your nearest service centre and ask to speak with a social worker.

Information in your language

If you need information or to talk to someone in your language, we can help.

You can read, listen or watch information in your language.

If you have questions about Centrelink payments and services, call our Centrelink multilingual phone service.

If you need to talk to us about Medicare or Child Support, call us and we’ll arrange an interpreter for free. Call either the:

If you need a document translated so you can claim a payment or service, let us know when you call. We will do this for free.

Mental health support

Experiencing conflict can be stressful and affect your mental health. There are resources to help during this difficult time.

For someone to talk to in a personal crisis, you can call these hotlines:

  • for 24/7 crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14.
  • for anyone concerned about anxiety, depression and suicide, call Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636.
  • for young people aged 5 to 25 call Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800.

For more information on mental health support go to finding help online and by phone.

Page last updated: 20 October 2023.
QC 64887