What to report

We need to know the gross income you and your partner get so we can pay you the right amount.

We’re pre-filling income and employment information into some employment income reports. Learn about what this means for you.

Gross income is the amount you get before tax and other deductions. If your income changes, even by a small amount, you need to tell us.

Income can be money you get from any of the following:

  • a job
  • a source, like an investment
  • a gift or allowance.

Read more about how we define income.

Income from employment

If you get employment income from your job, you must report every 2 weeks for your payment to continue. If you don’t report every 2 weeks your payment will stop. If you report late, your payment will be late.

It’s important to check pre-filled information in your report before you submit it. Learn what you must do when we pre-fill your information.

If your income reduces the amount we pay you to 0, a nil payment will start. This helps you stay on a payment if your income changes.

More about reporting income from employment.

Income from self employment

You must report self employment income to us but you shouldn’t include it in your employment income report. You might know this as business income.

More about reporting income from self employment.

Other things to tell us about your income

Any voluntary superannuation contributions you make count as income. You will need to tell us about this so we pay you the right amount.

There are other things we need to know about your income. This will make sure we’re paying you the right amount.

Page last updated: 21 July 2022