Updating your relationship status

You need to tell us when you become a member of a couple or end a relationship. This is to ensure you get paid correctly.

If you have a partner, we generally consider you a member of a couple. We define a relationship as either:

  • married
  • in a registered relationship
  • in a de facto relationship.

If you’re not sure whether you’re a member of a couple, we may need to assess your relationship.

It’s important to tell us when your relationship changes. If you don’t, we may pay you the wrong amount and you’ll have to repay the money. There may be other penalties.

To tell us about a change in your relationship, you may need to complete a form. The way you tell us will depend on which payment or benefit you get.

When you start a relationship

If you start a relationship, complete and return the partner details form. You need to do this if you get any payments or concession cards from us except Parenting Payment Single (PPS).

If you’re getting Parenting Payment Single (PPS), you’ll need to claim Parenting Payment Partnered (PPP).

Combined partner claims

If your partner is making an online claim, they may be able to make a claim for you at the same time. They’ll be able to do this if they meet all the required criteria. We’ll tell them in the claim if they can do this.

If they can, you’ll need to confirm your relationship status with us. We’ll tell you when your partner has made a claim for you.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can review the details they’ve given us and confirm your relationship status online.

Sign in to myGov

When you separate

You need to tell us if you separate from your partner. If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us online if you get one of the following payments:

  • Age Pension
  • Austudy
  • Carer Payment
  • Disability Support Payment
  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Youth Allowance.

Sign in to myGov

If you can’t tell us online you can use the separation details form.

If you get Parenting Payment Partnered (PPP), you’ll need to claim Parenting Payment Single (PPS).

If you told us about your separation as part of a new claim for a payment, you don’t need to use this form.

If you only get a families payment and won’t be claiming another payment, when you separate call us on our Families line. Families payments include:

  • Family Tax Benefit
  • Child Care Subsidy.

If you separate with children

We have information and can help with child support arrangements between separated parents.

If you’re living with someone you were in a relationship with

If you’re separated and live in the same house as your ex-partner, you need to tell us. You’ll each need to complete and return a Relationship details - Separated under one roof form.

If it will put your safety at risk, your ex-partner doesn’t need to complete this form. If you have any safety concerns with asking your ex-partner to complete it, please tell us on your form.

If you’re separated under one roof, we’ll need to regularly review your living arrangements. This is so we pay you the right amount.

When you have relationship safety concerns

If you have concerns about your safety, we can help. We can support you if there’s a family and domestic violence situation. If you’re in, have left, or are preparing to leave this relationship, please talk with us.

Page last updated: 3 November 2023.
QC 62960