Verify your relationship status

We may need to ask a third party, a person we call a referee, to verify your relationship status. We’ll tell you when we need referee details.

Who can act as a referee to verify your relationship status

Your referee must be someone over 18 who can confirm your relationship status. But they can’t be any of the following:

  • your parent or stepparent
  • a sibling or child
  • your correspondence nominee
  • your most recent ex-partner.

Your referee should be a person who is familiar with your circumstances. It’s preferable that a referee be a person of some standing in the community. For example, a minister of religion, doctor, police officer, counsellor, social or welfare worker, solicitor, or community leader.

If they give a false declaration, they may face penalties.

Page last updated: 24 July 2022.
QC 62961