Travel outside Australia

The travel rules of your main payment affect your Telephone Allowance when you travel outside Australia.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your allowance will stop when you depart.

If your travel is short term, you’ll get Telephone Allowance if all of these apply:

  • you’re getting your main payment
  • your Telephone Allowance payday is within the first 6 weeks of your travel
  • you continue to pay for a phone or internet service.

Check the travel rules for your main payment while outside Australia to find out:

  • if you can get your payment when you depart
  • when and how to tell us about your travel plans.

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you leave. They will also tell us when you return.

Page last updated: 29 June 2023.
QC 42316