Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Telephone Allowance payment.

If you don’t tell us when changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

For example, you need to tell us if you’re no longer paying for a phone or internet service.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to do both of the following:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov.

You can always use a self service terminal at a service centre to tell us about your changes.

It’s never too late to report a change.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you'll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don't tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid fraud.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022