Travel outside Australia

The Family Tax Benefit travel rules affect your Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement when you travel outside Australia.

If you or your child leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop when you depart.

If you or your child travel for a short term, you’ll get your payment for up to 6 weeks, but you must continue getting Family Tax Benefit Part A.

Check the travel rules for Family Tax Benefit to find out:

  • if you can get your payment when you depart
  • when and how to tell us about your travel plans.

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you or your child leave. They will also tell us when you or your child return.

Page last updated: 29 June 2023.
QC 52165