What to tell us
You need to tell us if any of the following happens:
- you change or correct your name
- you change your address
- your relationship changes, for example if you become partnered or separated
- your or your partner’s income changes
- you don't have to lodge a tax return
- your child leaves your care.
You also need to tell us if any of the following happens:
You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much and you may have to pay back the money.
How to tell us
You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- Centrelink phone self service.
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the families line.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.