Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long your Ex-Carer Allowance Health Care Card remains current when you travel outside Australia.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, we’ll cancel your card when you depart.

If your travel is short term, your card will remain current for up to 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, we’ll cancel your card and you’ll need to reapply once you return to Australia.

When and how to tell us about your travel

When you hold an Ex-Carer Allowance Health Care Card, you need to tell us if you’re leaving Australia either:

  • to live in another country
  • for more than 6 weeks.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can also use your online account to get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards.

You can call the Disability, sickness and carers line to discuss your circumstances further.

Learn how to create an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you leave. They will also tell us when you return.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 26 October 2022