Supporting documents

When claiming Youth Allowance there’s information and documents you’ll need to complete your claim.

What documents you need

As you complete your claim, we’ll ask you for certain documents or information. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents we need. These will show as required in your claim.

You need to give us the required documents on the Next steps page of your online account. You need to give us these before you can submit your claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and speed up the process. Call us on the youth and students line if you’re unsure which documents you need to give us.

We may also ask you to confirm details your education provider tells us about your study. We get this information from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.

Other documents you may need

You may need to give us other documents. These show as supplementary in the claim. You should try to give us your supplementary documents at the same time as your required documents. You have up to 14 days after you submit your claim to give them to us. We might be able to process your claim quicker if you give them to us at the same time.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances.

If we need more documents from you after you’ve submitted your claim, we’ll write to you to ask you for them. We’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. If you don’t provide them within 14 days of our request, we may reject your claim.

What common documents are

We’ve listed the documents and information we usually ask for. You may not need all of them. Your parents, your guardian or your partner may also need to give us some of these documents to support your claim.

Tax file numberYou’ll need your tax file number (TFN). If you don’t have a one, you can apply to get a TFN free on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

If you’re claiming as a dependant, your parents or guardians will need to supply their income details. Your parent or guardian can do this online using the Advise Parental Income service.

You may need to give details of your or your partner’s financial assets. Listed below are documents you may need to complete your claim:

  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas bank account details - the documents must detail account names, account number, name of financial institution and the current account balance
  • investments
  • insurance agreements
  • income and assets including real estate assets
  • income stream schedule
  • superannuation.

If you have a Self-Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF or Small APRA fund (SAF), you’ll need to give us the latest annual member statement. You’ll also need to give us the latest annual financial return for the fund.

IndependenceIf you meet the criteria for independence you may need to provide proof of this. Read more about being dependent or independent for Youth Allowance and what proof you may need to give us.
Living arrangements

You need to tell us about:

  • your address details
  • living away from home for job seekers.

Tell us about your:

  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work, bank balances and income details
  • separation details.
Residence details if you’ve lived outside Australia

You may need to tell us your:

  • visa information
  • the date you and your partner became Australian citizens
  • the dates you and your partner lived in other countries.
Employment or work

If you’ve lost your job, you may need to give us an employment separation certificate ;and payslips. If you’re having any trouble getting the information, call us on the youth and students line.

You may also need to tell us about any income you’re paid, from:

  • work
  • a small business
  • other income such as rent from an investment property.

You may able to get some documents through your ATO online account. Read more about what you can do in your ATO online account, on the ATO website.


We’ll ask you to provide or confirm:

  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship and enrolment details
  • enrolment details or fee receipts
  • course acceptance notices
  • academic transcripts.

If you’re doing a Startup Year course, we’ll ask for proof that you’re enrolled. We’ll also ask for proof that you’re getting a STARTUP-HELP loan.

If we ask you for proof of enrolment, we’ll need you to provide documents that:

  • have the name of your course
  • are official documents from your education provider
  • have the period you’re enrolled in.

You may need to give us your:

  • Health Care Card claims
  • medical reports
  • medical certificates.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about how to submit your Centrelink documents online.

You can also send them by mail, fax or by visiting a service centre.

Page last updated: 5 April 2024.
QC 40671