You may be permanently independent if you are:
- 22 or older
- independent through work
- 15 or older and an orphan
- 15 or older and have special adult status in a traditional community.
This also applies if you:
- have or had a dependent child
- have spent a total of 6 months or more in lawful custody
- are, or were, married under Australian law or Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian lore
- are, or were in, a registered relationship.
You may be independent if you have special adult status through a traditional coming of age ceremony.
You may be independent if you spent 6 months or more in lawful custody.