Non-agency payments

If you’re the paying parent we collect and transfer your regular child support payments

Paying parents can still make other payments. We may count these as a child support payment. We call these non-agency payments.

It’s important you talk to the other parent before you make any of these payments. We need to know if you both agree the payment is a child support payment.

If you’re the paying parent or receiving parent call the Child support enquiry line to discuss a non-agency payment.

If your Child Support online account is linked to myGov, you can tell us about any payments you’ve made or received as non-agency payments online. To do this, sign into myGov and select Advise an extraordinary payment.

Sign in to myGov

You can also do this by either:

Read our online guide to advising of extraordinary payments using your online account.

When you both agree it’s a child support payment

We can credit the following types of payments:

  • direct payments from the paying parent to the receiving parent
  • payments to a third party.

Examples of third party payments include:

  • food
  • clothing
  • household goods
  • rent or mortgage payments
  • health insurance
  • payments for essential medical or dental
  • school fees.

Other examples of third party payments include:

  • child care expenses
  • credit card repayments
  • travel or holiday expenses
  • household bills such as gas, electricity, phone or council rates
  • motor vehicle expenses
  • sporting expenses
  • non-cash payments, such as a transfer of property or household repairs.

When one of you doesn’t agree it’s a child support payment

We can credit some non-agency payments even if the person receiving child support doesn’t agree.

We call these prescribed non-agency payments.

When we’ll credit a prescribed non-agency payment

We can credit up to 30% of child support as a prescribed non-agency payment. We only do this if the paying parent is paying at least 70% of their monthly child support liability on time.

We only credit a prescribed non-agency payment if the paying parent has less than 14% care of the children. This is because if you have more than 14% care, your care counts towards the cost of raising them.

Read more about how your percentage of care affects your child support payments.

What are prescribed non-agency payments

Examples of prescribed non-agency payments include:

  • child care costs
  • school fees
  • school uniform and book fees
  • essential medical and dental items
  • the receiving parent’s share of rent or mortgage payments
  • the receiving parent’s share of utilities and rates
  • some motor vehicle costs.

Read more about these payments on the Child Support Guide.


Jodie and Phil have 2 children, Steven and Gemma. Jodie pays $200 a month in child support to Phil.

Jodie pays $600 in school fees and asks us to credit the payment. Phil doesn’t agree this payment counts as child support.

School fees are a prescribed non-agency payment, and Jodie has less than 14% care of the children. This means we don’t need Phil’s agreement and we can credit the payment as child support.

Jodie pays $140, or 70% of her normal child support payment, on time every month. This allows the school fee credit to make up the other $60 or 30%.

This will happen until Jodie has used the whole $600 credit for the school fees.

Page last updated: 17 April 2023.
QC 51900