Midwife Professional Indemnity Scheme

MPIS provides financial assistance to eligible insurers who provide indemnity to eligible midwives.

Payment rates

Level 1 Commonwealth Contributions (Claims Scheme)

From 1 July 2010, the insurer will pay the first $100,000 for each Level 1 claim.

For each claim over $100,000, the Government will pay, via the insurer, 80% of the cost that exceeds the threshold, up to a ceiling of $2 million.

For example:
A claim of $500,000 exceeds the threshold by $400,000. The insurer pays the first $100,000 and 20% of the remaining $400,000, and the Government pays 80% of $400,000.

Level 2 Commonwealth Contributions (Claims Scheme)

From 1 July 2010, the insurer will pay the first $100,000 for each Level 2 claim.

For each claim that exceeds $2 million, we will pay, via the insurer, at the Level 1 rate for the first $2 million, plus 100% of the cost of the claim above the threshold.

Run-off Cover Commonwealth Contributions (Claims Scheme)

From 1 July 2010, under the Run-off scheme eligible claims will be paid by us. The insurer will pay an annual levy on total premium costs. Levies collected will fund midwife Run-off Cover claims.

Run-off Cover is designed to assist an eligible insurer cover claims made against midwives who:

  • are retired
  • were not engaged in private practice during the preceding 3 years
  • have a permanent disability
  • are deceased
  • are on maternity leave, or
  • have permanently left private midwifery practice in Australia

Run-off Cover Commonwealth contributions reimburse the insurer 100% of an eligible claim.

Use the relevant Statutory Declaration form below when a claim is made under the Run-off Cover Scheme provisions of the Midwife Professional Indemnity (Commonwealth Contribution) Scheme Act 2010.

Claim process

The MPIS claim process is completed online through the Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) system.

A checklist in the electronic claim system allows insurers to check that they have provided the required documentation to support their claim.

Step by step instructions are available to insurers on:

  • searching for midwives or existing claims
  • submitting a new claim
  • adjusting a completed claim

Read how to access the Midwife Professional Indemnity Scheme using HPOS.

Insurers will receive a notification with advice that we have received your claim and that it is under assessment. Insurers will also be sent a notification to notify you of the outcome of your claim.


For additional assistance, contact us at the Midwife Professional Indemnity Contact Centre.

Page last updated: 12 June 2020