Payments for people living with an illness, injury or disability

There are payments and services to help if you’re ill, injured or have disability.

We want to make sure everyone can get information about our payments and services. Read the accessibility options we have.

Payments for people 16 and older

If you’re 16 or older you may be eligible for the following payments.

Disability Support Pension is a payment for people with a permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that stops you working.

JobSeeker Payment is an income support payment if you’re between 22 and Age Pension age and looking for work. It’s also for when you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study for a short time.

Youth Allowance for job seekers is an income support payment if you’re 21 or younger and looking for work, or temporarily unable to work.

Mobility Allowance helps with travel costs for work, study or looking for work. You may get it if you can’t use public transport without help because of disability.

The Pensioner Education Supplement (PES) is a regular extra payment to help with study costs. If you get PES, you may also get a one off Education Entry Payment.

There's extra support available to help you find a job, study or train. Read more about disability support.

You may also be able to get extra payments to help with the cost of living such as:

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to help find payments you may be able to get.

Read about the Medicare payments and other health care services that can help you with the cost of:

  • health services
  • prescription medicines
  • medical equipment.

Payments for children

If you’re younger than 16 you may be eligible for 1 of these payments.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual payment. It helps parents with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

Youth Disability Supplement is an extra payment for young people with disability who are getting an income support payment.

Other government and community support services

There are other organisations that can help you if you’re ill, injured or have disability. You can use Payment and Service Finder to find help close to your home. This includes mental health services near you if you have depression, anxiety or stress.

The Moneysmart Budget planner can help you work out where your money goes.

Better Start for Children with Disability helps with early intervention services for children with disability.

Disability Services Australia has advice on employment and community support services for people with a disability.

healthdirect has advice on health and wellbeing.

JobAccess offers help and workplace solutions for people with a disability looking for work and their employers.

National Disability Insurance Scheme helps people with significant and permanent disability, including their families and carers.

Helping Children with Autism package helps children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, including their families and carers.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 7 October 2021