Payments for carers

We provide payments to people who provide daily care for someone with severe disability, a medical condition, or who is frail aged.

Subscribe to receive regular email news updates for carers.

Financial help for carers

Carer Payment provides financial help to people who are unable to work in substantial paid employment. This must be because they provide full time daily care for either someone:

  • with severe disability or medical condition
  • who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is an income supplement for parents or carers providing extra daily care for either:

  • an adult or dependent child with disability or a medical condition
  • someone who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is a fortnightly payment. There is an annual income test , but no assets test. Carer Allowance is not taxable. We can pay it in addition to:

  • your wages
  • Carer Payment
  • any other income support payment.

Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment. It helps with the costs of caring for a person with disability or a medical condition. You’ll get Carer Supplement if you’re receiving Carer Payment or Carer Allowance.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment. It helps families deal with the increased costs of caring for a child that is both:

  • 7 years of age or younger
  • has had a sudden and severe illness or accident.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual lump sum payment. It helps parents with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

Pensioner Education Supplement helps with the costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

Payments to help carers with dependent children

Family Tax Benefit helps parents or guardians with the cost of raising children. It's made up of 2 parts, Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B.

Parenting Payment helps parents or guardians to cover the cost of raising children.

Child Care Subsidy helps with the cost of approved child care.

Double Orphan Pension helps with the costs of either:

  • caring for orphans
  • children whose parents are unable to care for them in certain circumstances.

There is no income or assets test for Double Orphan Pension.

Other help carers should know about

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps eligible people with permanent and severe incontinence to pay for incontinence products.

The Essential Medical Equipment Payment helps with both:

  • the extra costs of running essential medical equipment
  • medically required heating or cooling, or both.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

Carer Gateway provides a broad range of information about services and support available for carers.

Moneysmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the Moneysmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 7 October 2021