Update your personal details for Medicare
If your details change, you need to let us know as soon as you can. This can include your name, address and bank details.
Updating your address or bank details
It’s quick and easy to update your address and bank details online. You can do this any time.
You can update your address and bank account:
- using your Medicare online account through myGov
- using the Express Plus Medicare mobile app
- by phone.
Make sure we have both your correct address and bank details. We need these so we can:
- send you a new Medicare card when your card expires
- put money in your account when you claim a benefit.
If we don’t have the right bank details, we won’t be able to pay your Medicare benefit to you. We may hold your payment until we have your bank account details.
Read more about getting Medicare benefits.
Updating your name, date of birth or gender
You can call the Medicare general enquiries line to make some updates to your name or date of birth. You’ll need to prove your identity over the phone.
Updates we can make for you over the phone include:
- spelling of names, for example changing Brown to Browne or Marie to Maree
- date of birth details where the date’s 1 day out, for example changing 1 September 1990 to 2 September 1990
- date of birth details where you need to swap the day and month, for example, 1-9-1990 to 9-1-1990.
We can’t update your gender details, full name or full date of birth over the phone. You’ll need to give us supporting documents as proof for these changes. To make these changes you can:
- call us and we’ll tell you what evidence we need
- mail or email your request and a copy of proof of the change to Medicare Enrolment Services.
You don’t have to get the copy of your proof certified.
If you email us, please include Update personal details in the subject line.
We’ll send you a new Medicare card if your name has changed.
If you’re Indigenous
If you’re Indigenous and don’t have standard identity documents, you can use a referee instead. You and your referee need to complete the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Medicare enrolment and amendment form. You can find out who can be a referee on the form.
You can send it to us by mail or email to Medicare Enrolment Services. You should attach copies of the form and supporting documents. You don’t have to get these copies certified.
Call the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access Line if you need help filling out the form.
Updating details when someone has died
If a family member listed on your card dies, you’ll need to let us know. On request, we can reissue a new card.
Find out what else you can do to notify us following a death.
Page last updated: 29 September 2020
This information was printed 1 December 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/how-your-medicare-card-and-account-work/update-your-personal-details-medicare. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.