If you’re a temporary resident covered by a Ministerial Order

To access Medicare when you’re in Australia you must meet certain criteria.

You can enrol in Medicare if you have a valid temporary visa covered by 1 of these Ministerial Orders:

  • Fulbright scholars
  • Witness Protection (Trafficking) Temporary visa (subclass 787)
  • De facto partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents
  • Support for Victims of People Trafficking Program
  • Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (subclass 786)
  • Contributory Parent visas (subclasses 173, 143, 884, 864)
  • Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785)
  • Removal Pending Bridging visa (subclass 070)
  • Illegal maritime arrivals holding a Bridging E (Class WE) visa
  • Illegal maritime arrivals holding a Humanitarian Stay visa (subclass 449)
  • Secondary Movement Offshore Entry visa XB (subclass 447)
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790)
  • Skilled Work Regional Provisional visa (subclass 491)
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Provisional visa (subclass 494)

How to re-enrol

If you’re already enrolled in Medicare, you can call us to extend your enrolment if it’s about to expire. You don’t need to visit a service centre.

Call the Medicare program line to extend your enrolment. You’ll need to prove your identity over the phone. Find out what documents you need to enrol.

If you can’t prove your identity over the phone, you can mail or email your Medicare enrolment form and supporting documents to Medicare Enrolment Services.

You don’t need to get your documents certified.

Find out what documents you need to enrol.

Page last updated: 29 January 2021