If you’re a New Zealand citizen

To enrol in Medicare you need to prove you live in Australia.

You can enrol if you provide proof that you’ll be living here for the next 6 months.

You can also enrol if you either:

  • have lived in Australia for 6 months or more in the last 12 months
  • live here and have applied for permanent residency.

You can enrol any time in the 6 months after you first arrive in Australia.

How to enrol

You can enrol in Medicare by completing a form. Some people can also enrol online using their myGov account.

Enrolling with a form

To enrol in Medicare, you can complete a Medicare enrolment form. You can mail or email it with your supporting documents to Medicare Enrolment Services.

Find out what documents you need to enrol.

Enrolling online

To enrol online using myGov, you need to be living in Australia, 15 or older and enrolling as an individual.

You must also have either:

  • applied for a permanent resident visa
  • been granted permanent residency
  • hold a returning resident visa.

If you’re enrolling as a family, you need to complete a Medicare enrolment form.

Find out what documents you need to enrol.

If you have a myGov account sign in and enrol in Medicare now. If you don’t have a myGov account you need to create one.

Sign in to myGov

If your application is approved, we’ll contact you with your next steps. We’ll also send you your Medicare card in the mail to the address you gave us.

Until you enrol, you can get care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. This covers essential treatment in a public hospital. You can’t enrol or get a Medicare card until you prove you live in Australia.

Page last updated: 4 December 2023.
QC 60320