Family Day Care operators compliance reviews

We check the income you get from your Family Day Care operation has been reported correctly.

We may get information from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment that you've been working as a Family Day Care educator. If we do, we’ll send you a letter, asking you to contact us to confirm or update your details. When you contact us, we’ll discuss your individual circumstances with you. We’ll ask you for any additional information we may need about you.

Details we need

We’ll ask you the following questions about your Family Day Care work:

  • when did you start working as a Family Day Care educator
  • are you still working
  • if you’re not still working, when did you stop
  • which service providers, past and present do you have contracts with
  • how are you paid, for example, by a Provider or parents, or through a bank account or cash
  • what services do you provide
  • what are the ages of the children you educate
  • how many hours a day, days per week, and weeks per year do you provide care.

You must answer all these as accurately as you can.

Details about your tax returns and payment history

We'll need details about your lodged personal and business tax returns with the Australian Taxation Office, including both a:

  • breakdown of expenses
  • depreciation worksheet with details of the assets purchased.

We'll also need a copy of your Education Payment History Reports for the financial years your business has been operating.

If you haven't lodged your tax returns

You may need to provide us with a Profit and Loss Statement, if either:

  • you haven’t lodged your tax returns
  • your income has changed since your last tax return.

Other information

Depending on your circumstances, we may also ask you to send us the following information:

When providing this information, you should consider the following.

Details about purchases you’ve made for your business

  • are there assets that you've purchased in order to operate your business that you haven't previously advised us
  • what was the cost of the item
  • what percentage do you use the item for your business
  • do you provide food, meals or snacks.

Details about your property

If you run your business from your home, you’ll need to provide us with responses to all the following questions:

  • how many rooms in your house you use for child care compared to the total number of rooms in the home
  • do you use any room exclusively for your business
  • do you own or rent your home
  • how much rent do you pay each week
  • how much mortgage do you pay per month
  • what are your total annual household costs
  • Did you incur any expenses relating to the household, such as utilities, phone, internet, and insurance.

Details about car use

If your car’s used to help run your business, you’ll need to provide us with responses to the following questions:

  • do you require the car for your business
  • do you own or lease the car
  • do you drop off or pick up children
  • what calculation method you use when claiming motor vehicle expenses.

Examples of calculation methods might include log book, cents per kilometre, 12% of original value, 1/3 of actual expenses.

How to submit documents

You can submit documents either:

Related subjects

Page last updated: 17 February 2020