Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN)

We’ll give you a Customer Reference Number (CRN) when you get payments and services from us. Your CRN identifies your personal record.

What a CRN is

We use a CRN to identify your personal record. A CRN is 9 numbers and ends with a letter. For example: 123 456 789A.

You can use your CRN when you:

  • apply for payments and services
  • create an online account through myGov
  • record or update your information with us.

Most people get a CRN when they claim their first payment or register their details with us.

Your CRN stays the same. It doesn’t change and we don’t delete it if you no longer get a payment from us.

Where you can find your CRN

Your CRN is on letters we’ve sent you or on your concession card, if you have one.

If you can’t find your CRN, you can either:

  • sign in to myGov and under Government support for coronavirus, select Continue, then select I need a CRN and follow the prompts
  • call us and we’ll ask you some questions.

We’ll let you know if you need to visit a service centre.

How to set up an online account using your CRN

You must have a CRN to link Centrelink to myGov, to set up your Centrelink online account.

If you have a CRN

Sign in to myGov. Then use your CRN and answer some questions to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

If you need more help, read our guide to link a service using an existing online account.

If you don’t have a CRN

To get a CRN, you can sign in to myGov or call us to establish your identity. We'll support you to set up a Centrelink online account.

You may not have a CRN if you’ve never had a payment or service from us before.

What a Customer Access Number (CAN) is

We use both CANs and CRNs to recognise your personal record. Your CAN will generally be the same as your CRN.

Some people have a different number for their CAN and CRN. This might happen if you claim online. If this applies, use your:

  • CAN when using self service or calling any of our payment lines
  • CRN when talking to staff in a service centre.

Use your CAN to link your online account to myGov

If you already have an online account, you can use your CAN and password to link it to myGov. Just sign in to myGov, follow the steps to link Centrelink and enter your CAN and password when asked.

Where can you find more information

myGov online help guides

With a myGov account you can link any of your online accounts, including Centrelink, with one username and password. View our myGov online help guides.

Someone else to deal with us on your behalf

You can get someone else to deal with us, or get letters or payments for you. We call them a Centrelink nominee. You’ll both need a CRN and an online account through myGov. Read more about someone to deal with us on your behalf.


You can read more about your right to privacy. You can also read our privacy policy. It explains how we handle your personal information.

Page last updated: 8 October 2020