How to claim

Complete the following steps if you can claim the Tertiary Access Payment from us. If you’re studying at a university, you need to contact them to make a claim.

If you’re studying a higher education course at a university, you must check your eligibility and claim through your university.

Check before you claim if you’re a student who can claim this payment through us.

You can only claim with us if you’re either:

  • studying at a VET or higher education non-university provider
  • studying a VET course.

We’ll pay this payment to 1,000 students in 2021.

You’ll need to have a myGov account linked to your Centrelink online account to claim the Tertiary Access Payment.

If you’re eligible to claim with us, follow these steps.

Steps to claim Tertiary Access Payment

  1. Visiting a service centre

    1. Get ready to claim

    Before you submit your claim make sure you do all of the following:

    If you’re studying a higher education course at a university, you must check your eligibility and claim through your university.

    If you’re studying a Vocational Educational and Training (VET) course at a university, you claim the payment through us.

    You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim. You’ll need your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link your Centrelink online account to myGov.

    If you don’t have a CRN, you’ll need to prove your identity online through myGov to get one. You’ll then need to link Centrelink to your myGov account. You don’t need to visit a service centre to do this.

  2. Gather Documents

    2. Get your documents ready

    You may need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.

    You may need to give us:

    • your study details
    • details of your parents’ income.

    Depending on your situation, you may also need to give us evidence of why you:

    • can’t start your course following year 12 or equivalent
    • don’t need to supply your parents’ income
    • can’t claim Tertiary Access Payment by 31 December of the year you start studying.

    You can submit a claim for this payment from 1 January 2021.

  3. Claim online

    3. Submit a claim

    1. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
    2. Select Payments and Claims, then Claims, then Make a claim from the menu.
    3. Under Students, select Get started.
    4. Select Claim for the Tertiary Access Payment.

    5. Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
    6. Submit a claim.

    When you're ready:

    Sign in to myGov


    4. Wait for the result

    We’ll let you know the outcome of your claim in writing.

    If you’re eligible and still enrolled on the dates we check your enrolment, we’ll pay each instalment after these dates.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 28 June 2021