Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long we can pay your Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement when you’re outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country

If you or your child leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave on a temporary basis

If you or your child leave Australia on a temporary basis, you’ll normally still get your payment for up to 6 weeks. During this time you must continue getting Family Tax Benefit Part A. After 6 weeks, your payments will stop.

Your payment will stop on departure if all of these apply. You or your children:

  • are overseas for longer than 6 weeks
  • return to Australia
  • leave Australia again within 6 weeks.

You may be eligible for an extension if you’re either:

  • a member of the Australian Defence Force deployed overseas
  • a member of the Australian Federal Police engaged in peacekeeping or capacity building activities overseas.

If you hold a certain visa type

We normally can’t pay you overseas if you hold 1 of the following visas:

  • a Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • a Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790
  • a Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 issued on or after 16 December 2014.

If you hold 1 of these visas, we may pay you overseas for up to 6 weeks. This is only if you’re overseas for 1 of the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis – for example, to visit a critically ill family member
  • for humanitarian reasons – for example, to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to get eligible medical treatment not available in Australia.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you or your child leave Australia and any of the following apply. You:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • have not been back in Australia for 6 weeks since your last return
  • hold a partner provisional visa or temporary protection type visa.

Otherwise, you don't need to tell us that you or your child are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you or your children leave and return to Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call the families line to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 10 December 2020