Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Mobility Allowance when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, we can pay you for up to 6 weeks. But you must continue to meet your activity test requirements.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us you’re leaving Australia if any of these apply. You:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • will cease meeting your activity test requirements within 6 weeks of your departure.

Otherwise, you don’t need to tell us that you’re leaving. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 11 December 2020