Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Mobility Allowance (MOB) payment.

What to tell us

You must tell us if any of the following happen:

  • you change or correct your name
  • you change address
  • your bank details change
  • you get funded support from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
  • you get a car from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs under their Vehicle Assistance Scheme, or Motor Vehicle Compensation Scheme
  • your work status changes, including changes to the hours you work
  • your training changes, including any changes to your hours
  • you stop looking for work with your employment services provider
  • you stop travel for work, training, or to look for work
  • you’re leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
  • you’re imprisoned.

You have 14 days to tell us about any changes. If you don’t do this, we may pay you too much and you’ll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud. We may impose a recovery fee if you give us incorrect information about your employment income.

If you don’t have to report your employment income and hours each fortnight but are still working 15 hours or more per week, you need to call us. We can record your hours to make sure you’re paid the right amount of MOB.

Grace period

If you stop your qualifying activity, you may still get MOB for a short time. This is known as a grace period.

Qualifying activities include:

  • work
  • training
  • looking for work.

How to tell us

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us about changes to your circumstances online. To do this, sign in to myGov and select My details.

Sign in to myGov

You can also tell us using either:

Read more about what you can do using self service.

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the Disability, sickness and cares line.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

Page last updated: 3 November 2023.
QC 39291