Who can get it
You must be a tertiary student living away from home to study to get Fares Allowance.
You must also get 1 of these payments:
You must also be 1 of these:
- dependent and get a higher rate of Youth Allowance when living away from home
- independent and living away from your partner to study
- a parent living away from your dependent children to study
- studying a distance or online course and need to travel to your education provider to meet a course requirement.
You can also get Fares Allowance if both of the following applied to you during the study year:
- you got Youth Allowance as a dependent student
- you were getting a higher rate of Youth Allowance when living away from home
- you have now turned 22 or become independent by supporting yourself through work.
Secondary students and Australian Apprentices can’t get Fares Allowance.
Page last updated: 31 January 2020
This information was printed 11 August 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/fares-allowance/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.