Who can get it
You must be a tertiary student living away from home to study to get Fares Allowance.
You must also get one of these payments:
You must also be one of these:
- dependent and get a higher rate of Youth Allowance when living away from home
- independent and living away from your partner to study
- a parent living away from your dependent children to study
- studying a distance or online course and need to travel to your education provider to meet a course requirement.
You can also get Fares Allowance if both of the following applied to you during the study year:
- you were getting a higher rate of Youth Allowance when living away from home as a dependent student
- you have now turned 22 or become independent by supporting yourself through work.
Secondary students and Australian Apprentices can’t get Fares Allowance.
If you’re eligible, you can get Fares Allowance for the following situations.
Page last updated: 6 July 2021
This information was printed 27 November 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/fares-allowance/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.