Support for grandparent carers

Extra assistance is available if you’re a grandparent caring for your grandchildren.

For the purposes of Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part B and Child Care Subsidy, a grandparent of a child can be any of the following:

  • a biological, adoptive or step grandparent or great grandparent of the child
  • a parent or grandparent of a relationship parent of the child - a relationship parent is a person who is legally responsible for a child born as a result of artificial conception procedures or born under surrogacy arrangements
  • the current or former partner of a biological, adoptive or relationship grandparent or great grandparent.

It doesn’t include former partners of step grandparents and great grandparents.

Family Tax Benefit Part B

If you’re a grandparent carer, you may be eligible for FTB Part B if you care for a child at least 35% of the time and the child is either:

  • 0 to15 years
  • 16 to 18 years and a full time secondary student.

When the child is 13 or over, you need to tell us you’re a grandparent carer if you haven’t already. You need to do this to keep getting FTB Part B. You can do this by calling us.

Additional Child Care Subsidy Grandparent

You may be able to get extra help with child care fees if all of the following apply:

  • you’re eligible for Child Care Subsidy
  • you get an income support payment
  • you’re the grandparent or great grandparent of the child
  • you have 65% or more care of the child
  • you make the day to day decisions about the child’s care, welfare and development.

You’ll be able to access 100 hours of subsidised care for your grandchild or great grandchild each fortnight. We pay it directly to your child care service.

Read more about Additional Child Care Subsidy Grandparent.

Grandparent Advisers

Grandparent Advisers provide extra support for grandparents who have caring responsibilities for their grandchildren. They can also provide support for other non-parent carers.

Read more about grandparent advisers.

Other support

There are other payments and services available for non-parent carers.

Read more about support for non parent carers.

Page last updated: 13 June 2019