Who can get it

You can get this payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance such as a natural or other disaster.

Extreme circumstances are events such as severe property damage from a house fire or flood. It can also be community violence.

You must meet all of the following. You:

  • experienced an extreme circumstance where it is unreasonable for you to return to your home in the near future
  • intend to establish or have established a new home
  • couldn’t have predicted that the extreme circumstance would happen
  • couldn’t have avoided the extreme circumstance
  • are in severe financial hardship.

We’ll ask you for evidence of the extreme circumstance that led you to claim, such as a police or fire report.

Can’t get it

You can’t get it if you got a disaster relief payment for the same extreme circumstance such as:

  • Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance
  • any other payment or allowance from your local or state or territory governments, or the Commonwealth.

You also can’t get a Crisis Payment if you were evicted from your home because you didn’t pay your mortgage or rent.

Contact us

To get this payment you must contact us within 7 days of deciding that you can’t return to your home.

We consider you to have made contact if you do 1 of these to get a payment or concession card:

  • begin a claim using your Centrelink Online account
  • call us on your regular payment line
  • visit a service centre.

After contacting us, you must submit your claim within 14 days.

Page last updated: 27 July 2020