Who can get it

To get this Crisis Payment you must meet the eligibility criteria.

You must contact us within 14 days of entering quarantine or self-isolation, or caring for someone who is.

We consider you to have made contact if you do 1 of these to get a payment or concession card:

  • begin a claim using your Centrelink Online account
  • call us on your regular payment line.

After contacting us, you must submit your claim within 14 days. You must be in Australia when you submit your claim.

Can’t get it

You can’t get it if:

  • you're staying home but leaving for essential activities such as shopping or work
  • you’re staying home to avoid getting COVID-19, even if your health professional told you to
  • you’re caring for a person who is in quarantine or self-isolation in a hospital
  • someone else has already got it to provide care to the same person.

Eligibility criteria

You can get it if all of the following apply:

You must also either be:

  • required to be in quarantine or self-isolation in Australia
  • caring for someone required to be in quarantine or self-isolation in Australia.

You or the person you care for must be in quarantine or self-isolation because of advice or a requirement made by:

  • the Australian Government
  • a state or territory government
  • a health professional.

You or the person you’re caring for could be in quarantine or self-isolation for reasons such as:

  • being diagnosed with COVID-19
  • being in close contact with a diagnosed case of COVID-19
  • having arrived in Australia after midnight on 15 March 2020
  • feeling unwell with COVID-19 symptoms including fever, coughing, shortness of breath, sore throat and fatigue
  • waiting for COVID-19 test results.

You can be in quarantine or self-isolation at home, in a motel, hospital or any other appropriate place.

If you’re caring for someone in quarantine or self-isolation

The person you’re caring for must be a member of your immediate family or household.

Your immediate family means your partner, child, grandchild, parent, sibling or grandparent.

Caring for someone means you’re providing daily care or support such as:

  • administering medication
  • bathing
  • preparing meals.
Next: How much you can get

You can get a maximum of 2 Crisis Payments for National Health Emergency in a 6 month period.

Page last updated: 16 October 2020