Travel outside Australia

There are limits on how long your card remains current when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your card will be cancelled on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, your card will remain current for up to 19 weeks. After 19 weeks, your card will be cancelled and you will need to reapply once you return to Australia.

Before travelling, make sure your income details are up to date. This will make the process quicker and easier if you need to reapply for your card on return to Australia.

The rules for payment of the quarterly supplement outside Australia are different.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us about your travel if you’re leaving Australia either:

  • to live in another country
  • for more than 19 weeks.

Otherwise, you don’t need to tell us that you’re leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will tell us when you leave and return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call the Older Australians line to discuss your circumstances further.

Read about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 28 June 2021