Getting a medical certificate

You may be able to get an exemption from your Austudy study requirements if you give us a medical certificate.

Why you need to give us a medical certificate

You need to be studying full time to get Austudy.

If you’re sick or injured, you may get a temporary incapacity exemption from your full time study requirements. You’ll need to give us a medical certificate from your doctor. This can be either a medical practitioner or specialist. This helps us decide if you can get an exemption.

If you can’t study or train because of coronavirus (COVID-19) you don’t need to give us a medical certificate. We’ll give you an exemption for up to 14 days if you’re either:

  • self-isolating
  • caring for someone who needs to self-isolate.

Call us on the Youth and Students line to let us know. We may ask for a medical certificate after 14 days if you still need to isolate.

What information you need to give us if you’re ill or injured

Your medical certificate must include all of the following information:

  • what the sickness, injury or disability is,
  • how long it will take for you to recover
  • if you’re unable to do your full time study load, how long you won’t be able to do it.

Types of medical certificates

There are 2 types of medical certificates we can accept, either a:

The preferred evidence is a Centrelink medical certificate form. This helps us assess your exemption request faster.

Who can complete a medical certificate

Only authorised medical doctors may complete and sign the Centrelink Medical Certificate form. A medical doctor is a person with recognised medical qualifications, such as a general practitioner, physician or surgeon. If you live in a rural or remote area without a doctor, a community nurse can complete your medical certificate.

Centrelink Medical Certificate form

Your doctor, a medical practitioner or specialist, can either:

  • fill the Centrelink Medical Certificate form out online, or print it and complete it by hand
  • give us a Centrelink Medical Certificate online using Health Professional Online Services.

Non-Centrelink Medical Certificate

Your doctor may choose to use their own form. We’ll accept it as long as it has the required details and your doctor signs it.

When to give us a medical certificate

You can do this if you’re sick and injured and you’re either:

  • making a new claim for Austudy
  • already getting Austudy and can’t meet your full time study requirements.

Applying for an exemption when you claim Austudy

If you’re applying for an exemption when you claim, you’ll need to do both of these:

  • let us know why you can’t study or train full time
  • give us a medical certificate as one of the supporting documents with your claim.

Read about how to submit your documents.

Applying for an exemption if you’re already getting Austudy

You can apply for an exemption at any time by giving us a medical certificate.

How to give us your Medical Certificate

If your doctor gives you the completed medical certificate, you can submit it online using either:

If you can’t submit it online, you can either:

Page last updated: 19 April 2021