Supporting documents

When claiming Austudy there’s information and documents you’ll need to complete your claim.

What documents you need

As you complete your claim we’ll ask you to provide us with certain documents or information. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents you need to give to us. These are listed as required in your claim.

You’ll need to provide these documents before you can submit your claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process.

We may also ask you to confirm details your education provider tells us about your study. We get this information from the Department of Education.

Other documents you may need

You may need to give us other documents. These will be listed in the claim as supplementary. You’ll have 14 days after you submit your claim to submit these.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances. If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. You need to provide them within 14 days of our request or your claim may be rejected.

What common documents are

We’ve listed all the documents and information we usually ask for. You may not need all of them.


You’ll need your:

  • tax file number
  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas account details
  • payslips
  • investment details
  • assets, including real estate assets.

We’ll ask you to provide or confirm your:

  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship details
  • course acceptance notices
  • academic transcripts
  • enrolment details or fee receipts.

If you’re doing a Startup Year course, we’ll ask for proof that you’re enrolled. We’ll also ask for proof that you’re getting a STARTUP-HELP loan.

If we ask you for proof of enrolment, we’ll need you to provide documents that:

  • have the name of your course
  • are official documents from your education provider
  • have the period you’re enrolled in.
Employment or work

You’ll need to tell us about any income you’re paid from:

  • work
  • a small business
  • an investment property.
Living arrangements

You’ll need to tell us about:

  • address details
  • student or campus accommodation.

You’ll need to tell us your:

  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details.

What other documents you may need

As well as some of the common documents, you might need to complete and submit these documents.

Your situationForms you may need to complete
You have paid superannuationSuperannuation details
You have trusts, companies, assets, investments, bonds or sharesStatements or information about these
share of a property’s asset value and incomeReal estate details form
You have a private companyPrivate Company details form
You have a private trustPrivate Trust details form
You’re unable to study full time due to a medical conditionCentrelink Medical Certificate form

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. You can also send them by mail or fax.

We encourage you not to come to a service centre during this period.

Page last updated: 14 December 2023.
QC 40616