How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Austudy. Before you start, check if you can get it.
1: Austudy – guide to claim
We will guide you through the claim process.
You can claim up to 13 weeks before you start full time study or an Australian Apprenticeship.
Claiming early means you’re more likely to have your payment ready to go when you need it
6: Adding a Nominee arrangement
You will need to have an arrangement in place to claim on someone else’s behalf.
The person you are claiming for will need to start the process. Read about how to add a Nominee arrangement using your online account.
9: You can claim over the phone
If you can’t claim online, call us on the Student and trainees line.
You don’t need to go to a service centre to make a claim. If you're feeling unwell, or need to isolate yourself at home, please don't visit our service centres.
10: Create a myGov and Centrelink online account to begin your claim online
Follow these steps:
- Create a myGov account.
Enter your email address, then confirm your email address using a code we email to you.
Each myGov account must use a unique email address. You can’t use the same email for 2 myGov accounts.
- Set up security features including passwords, secret questions and you have the choice to use your mobile phone number as a 2 step authentication.
- Sign in to myGov and then link your account to Centrelink.
- Either enter your Centrelink Customer Reference Number or select I need a CRN.
- Follow the prompts to establish your identity and we’ll check your details against our records.
- We’ll create you a Centrelink online account and from there you can Make a claim.
13: Sign in to myGov and get your Centrelink Customer Reference Number
We can check if you have a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) or create one. We’ll then create a Centrelink online account at the same time. We need to establish your identity to do this.
Follow these steps:
- Sign into myGov
- Select Continue from the Government support for Coronavirus banner. Then select I need a CRN
Follow the prompts to enter your identity details.
You’ll need 1 of these documents:
- current Australian passport
- Australian birth certificate
- Australian citizenship certificate
- Australian visa.
You’ll also need 1 of these documents:
- Australian driver licence
- Department of Immigration issued ImmiCard
- Australian Citizenship by Descent Certificate.
- Enter information from your Medicare card.
- Enter some personal details and we’ll check them against our records.
- We’ll create a Centrelink online account and link to myGov.
- Start your claim for a Austudy.
We may need more identity information at a later date. We’ll contact you in the future to let you know what we need.
If you can’t establish your identity or get a CRN online, you can call us on the Student and trainees line.
14: Sign into your Centrelink online account through myGov and start your claim
Follow the next steps:
- Sign into myGov and select Centrelink.
- Select Make a claim from your homepage.
- Select Get Started from the Students, Trainees and Apprentices category.
- Answer pre-claim questions to check your eligibility.
- Start your claim and answer the questions about your situation.
- Review and confirm your claim.
We’ll tell you if you need to do anything else to complete your claim. We may ask you submit supporting documents to submit your claim.
Your options and obligations for Austudy.
Page last updated: 16 September 2020
This information was printed 23 September 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/austudy/how-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.