Approved courses and institutions
You must study an approved course with an approved institution to get ABSTUDY or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement.
Approved courses meet certain rules. You may be studying an approved course if it’s:
- a primary or secondary school course
- a special school course
- a pre-vocational or vocational education and training course
- a course preparing you for tertiary study
- a TAFE or university course
- a masters or doctorate course
- an accredited Indigenous special course with a vocational focus.
You can study an approved course by doing any or all of the following:
- attending classes
- distance education or correspondence
- open learning
- flexible delivery.
If your course includes Away from Base activities, it may still be an approved course . It will be an approved course if you’re going away to attend 1 of the following:
- residential schools
- placements or field trips
- testing or assessment.
Some courses are excluded courses. You can’t get ABSTUDY if you’re studying an excluded course. A course is excluded if it’s 1 of the following:
- an Australian Government funded program
- mostly made up of Away from Base activities
- not available to all Australian students.
If you’re applying for Lawful Custody Allowance, your course may be approved under different criteria.
Your place of study may be approved if it’s 1 of these:
- primary or secondary school
- TAFE or registered training organisation
- special school
- higher education provider, like a university
- correctional services authority providing Indigenous special courses for students in lawful custody.
We define course and provider types using the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Determination on the Federal Register of Legislation website.
Check if your course and institution are approved
We’ll tell you if your course and institution are approved when you submit your claim.
Page last updated: 14 November 2019
This information was printed 30 May 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/abstudy/who-can-get-it/approved-courses-and-institutions. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.