Secondary and primary students
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in secondary school may get ABSTUDY payments. Some primary school students may also be eligible.
If your child is eligible for ABSTUDY, depending on their age and where they’re studying, we have the following payments:
- ABSTUDY School Term Allowance, help with the cost of your child’s secondary schooling if they live at home
- ABSTUDY School Fees Allowance, help with the cost of school fees for secondary students
- ABSTUDY Fares Allowance, help with travel costs between home and study location if they need to live away from home.
A primary school student is only eligible if they’re 14 or older on 1 January in the year of study.
If you’re aged 16 or older, you may get:
- ABSTUDY Living Allowance, help with living costs while studying or training
- Additional Assistance, help if you get Living Allowance and have severe financial difficulties.
If you’re aged 18 years or older, you may get ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance. A payment to help with the cost of starting or continuing study or training.
If you need to be away from home or your study location, you may get ABSTUDY Away from Base Assistance.
You may get more than 1 ABSTUDY payment at a time. Depending on your situation you may only have to apply once.
Page last updated: 20 January 2021
This information was printed 7 October 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/abstudy/secondary-and-primary-students. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.