If you’re in a de facto relationship

You may be independent for Youth Allowance if you’ve been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months or 6 months in special circumstances.

A de facto relationship is where you and your partner meet both of these conditions:

  • you’re in a relationship similar to a married couple
  • you’re not married or in a registered relationship.

You may need to give us proof that you meet these requirements. This may include one or more of the following:

  • rental agreements, electricity, water or telephone accounts
  • evidence of a joint bank account
  • a statutory declaration signed by a third party.

If we assess that you’re in a de facto relationship we’ll treat you as independent. If your relationship ends, we’ll still consider you independent.

It’s important you tell us about any changes to you or your partner’s circumstances. If you don’t tell us, it may affect your payment. You may need to pay back money we’ve paid you.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 55739