If you have, or have had, a dependent child

You may be independent for Youth Allowance if you have, or had, a dependent child.

A child is dependent on you if they are both:

  • your birth, adoptive or relationship child
  • completely or mostly dependent on you, or your partner if they were in your partner’s care during your relationship.

You’re still independent even if any of the following apply. Your child:

  • was adopted or placed into another person’s care
  • died
  • was stillborn and we paid the Stillborn Baby Supplement.

You may need to give proof that you meet these requirements. You may need to give us one or more of the following:

  • an original birth certificate or certified extract of a birth certificate confirming you’re the child’s natural parent
  • other official documentation that shows you’re the child’s natural parent
  • legal evidence that shows you adopted the child.

If you’re the child’s father but you’re not in a relationship with your child’s mother, your situation may differ. If your name is not on the birth certificate, you also need to provide evidence the child is dependent on you. This can be evidence that shows you do any of the following:

  • provide material support towards care of your child
  • have regular or periodic care of your child
  • have input into decisions that affect your child
  • pay court ordered or voluntary child maintenance for your child.

If you’re a step parent, you won’t be considered independent unless you have adopted the child.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021.
QC 55738