How to manage your payment

Information about how you get and manage your Extraordinary Assistance Fund and Health Care Assistance Fund payments for Australian thalidomide survivors.

We’ll pay your money to the bank account you’ve set up with Medicare.

We can also make payments directly to a registered health care practitioner or business. You’ll need to provide their bank details.

We can’t pay your claim until you provide us with proof of the payments you’ve made. This includes payments you made to third party suppliers.

We can’t make payments to a credit card, loan or mortgage account.

You need to let us know if any of your details change. Read more about when you need to tell us about a change in your circumstances.

You can authorise a person to deal with us on your behalf. Read more about how to authorise someone to talk to us.

Page last updated: 9 September 2022.
QC 54188